One Cube. Six Sides. Endless Possibilities

“It always seems impossible until it's done”. This applies for the Rubik’s cube as well. How 
many of you all have looked at a Rubik’s cube and thought that it was practically impossible 
to solve it ? Well, don’t worry. That’s how my dad and I started out too. It was one summer 
when my dad told me about how doing things that you haven’t done before creates 
connections in your brain and those connections make you smarter. I immediately agreed 
to start solving it - who doesn’t want to be smart! We ordered a Rubik’s cube, and started 
attempting to solve it. We watched loads of videos on Youtube but just didn’t find one that 
we were able to follow. Finally after days of pointless search, we found one which we thought 
would be the easiest and fastest to solve.
Everyday, we would sit down on the bed, both trying to understand the video. It was a little 
confusing at first but me and my dad worked as a team and soon, the impossible seemed only
a few moves away. It was more of the initial anxiety of trying to solve something that had 40 
quintillion possibilities that slowed us down but once we made up our mind that we were going
to solve it, it was just a matter of time before the challenge was complete. It took us time but 
we finally completed it. In Fact we couldn’t get over the fact that we solved it, that we kept it 
unsolved for 4 whole days ! The video was split into 4 sections so we did a section a day.
Also we would have weekly competitions with a friendly spirit to test our memory and how fast 
we were at solving it. From then on, the doors to Rubik's world were just a few twists away. I 
took it with me everywhere as it was one thing that I considered a great achievement. Now 
everyone in school was trying to solve it too ! The competition was definitely heating up. This 
is where I took my prior knowledge on how to solve Rubik’s cube’s and took it to the next level.
Now it was no longer a cube, it was a literally 40 quintillion possibilities. We had all sorts of 
challenges in school, from single handed to blindfolded. I started to expand my knowledge on 
Rubik’s cube’s and tried to improve my timing. I even started teaching people how to solve one.
It was in no less than a year and my father had already forgotten. To be honest even I didn’t 
remember to the extent where I could teach someone but my fingers knew it all. All I had to do 
was pick the cube up and from there, it was all up to my fingers. Muscle memory is what 
continued my journey in solving the cube. The Rubik’s cube was just the beginning of what 
was to be a very interesting journey through mathematical puzzles, Sudoku and many more. 
More than just being able to solve a cube, I learnt a life lesson. ‘”Never give up, because great 
things take time”. MS Dhoni being my inspiration, I learnt how to be persistent like him and 
never think it is over until you have completed it to your heart's content. Thinks about this 
quote that Nelson Mandela said “I never lose, I either win or learn”

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Vs Smart